Friday, October 03, 2008

Camping Trip

The week before my kids turned three I decided to take them camping near Panguitch Lake. We planned to set up our tent near my Grandma and Grandpa's cabin (and fifth wheel). It was the perfect week to spend completely engaged with my kids, simple, celebrating the last week of two-twos, decompressing in nature, and visiting with my grandparents. The kids loved Grandma Deanie, and I think she enjoyed our visit as well (blogged here and here).
Our first day, Alison "tickling with the grass."It wasn't warm but they can't stay out of creeks. I rolled up their pants and let them have at it. Stuart fell in but stayed mostly dry wearing his rain jacket. He couldn't even be convinced to go back for warm pants. We played until dinner.

Inside our cozy tent and sleeping bag. Stuart, Alison, and I all shared one big sleeping bag. We spent the evenings reading each book we brought by flashlight--slept 11 hours--and spent the mornings decided who would get the warm chocolate milk. In a 2-1 vote it was always me.
One morning we went to one of our favorite hikes--Alpine Pond, in Cedar Breaks National Monument. It was a blustery day and the clouds were moving really fast. (It was cold as well and ended up snowing on us a bit as we headed back to the car.)
Stopping for a rest at the pond. We went on this hike a few springs ago and it was covered with wildflowers. It looks much different here--dryer, but still a great hike.


Stuart and Alison were hiking along when they found this Christmas Tree. They were DELIGHTED.
Stuart took this picture. He went around a bend and saw the rock. "Mommy! There is a rock that is going to fawll off! I want to take a pictuwr." So he did. He is becoming a better photographer all the time.
Alison around the cabin.
Grandma showed Alison and Stuart a fort the cousins had built earlier in the season. It used to have a roof but apparently they used part of the cabin. Grandpa didn't have the heart to take it while they were visiting but once they went home it was stolen back.
Panguitch Lake. Our visit was evidently post-season. Nobody was around.
Throwing rocks in rhythm.

Okay Grandma. One, two, three, lift! Harder.
Alright Alison. You and me. We can do this. I'll take the heavy side. One, two, three.
All three. Are you putting your legs into it Grandma?
Alison figured it was more fun to climb on.
And jump off.



Making brownies with Grandma.
Our lovely accomadations.
Cedar Breaks.
They were WORN OUT. Here is Alison, fallen asleep putting on her chapstick.
And later, fallen asleep reading her book by flashlight.
We'll do it again next year! (Maybe we could coordinate our visits Lindsay and Stacie!)

5 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I love cedar breaks! I want to go!
I was looking at Alison's sweater thinking it was cute, then Stu was wearing something similar. Did you MAKE those??

Linz said...

What a fun camping trip! They are so cute! I can hardly believe they are three already! Wow! I was wondering if you made those cute sweaters too?? Did you?! (It wouldn't surprise me at all...)

Aurelie said...

I didn't make the sweaters. Children's Place made them last year, I bought them for less than $5.00 last Spring (actually I only bought Stuarts because when I had Alison's in my hand, my girlfriend, Rachel, told me that Abby had that SAME sweater in the SAME size at home. So Alison's is a handmedown). I wish I was more on top of things and did all their shopping a year ahead--then I'd have more money for knitting.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Aurelie, that's the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time! I can't believe they are 3 already!!

Stacie said...

YES YES YES!!! Let's coordinate!!!