Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Garden Snails

Some kids have a special attachment to a blanket. Mine have been carrying around snails, just two, until this morning. Ryan worked late but when he got home he went downstairs, as he always does before he goes to bed, to check on the kids. Stuart was sitting up in bed crying about a snail who "snailed" away. Ryan, unaware that Stuart has been sleeping with a garden snail for the last few days, coaxed him back to bed.

This morning, Stuart remembered things differently. He told me that Daddy had stolen his snail. I assured him that his Daddy would do no such thing. (I wondered if Daddy, who was still sleeping and unavailable for questioning, actually had found a snail slithering across his sleeping child's face and thrown out--gasp--the beloved.)

We moved furniture and found the creature clinging upside down to the the bottom of Stuart's bed. Not real impressed spending my first waking half hour searching for a snail, I put extra effort into convincing Stuart and Alison that the snails should go out. "They really, REALLY miss their friends. I think we should put them outside."

I congratulated myself, thinking I had won the battle as they marched outside. Luckily, they found all of the snails' friends... and sisters, and brothers, and lost acquaintances. They were amenable to coming into the house to socialize.

Ryan woke up to this.



Followed by Alison giving each snail a soothing bath in my sink and drying them off with my good linens.

Sick.

13 comments:

Linz said...

That's so funny! I have to hand it to you. I wouldn't allow snails over my threshold, even in a container! You rock!!! And those twins are soooooooo cute! and they talk so well! Yea!

Anonymous said...

You are a better mommy than I am, Aurelie!

Anonymous said...

That's it, I'm totally nominating you for Mother of the Year. Who else would sacrifice their good linens to their childrens' curiosity? Stuey and Alison are lucky to have such an awesome mommy!

Wiscombes said...

okay...the good news? snails do not bite, they do not run away from two year olds, and they are easily replacable if snails are your thing. Bad news? Snails LOVE strawberries! They LOVE gardens! REEEAlly bad news? Snails can multiply faster than rabbits and fruit flys! Good news? Snails love snail bait. Good luck with that Aurelie. I am also nominating you for the Mother of the year...unless of course any of those snails find their way over to my house! :)

Mari Burgess said...

So so so cute!!!

Wiscombes said...

okay...so..um...now why did you not stop in when you went to pick out the color for your piano??
uh HUH!!! CAUGHT you!!! I saw it. It is going to look great. I bet you are excited. You are probably wondering why I am posting this? send me your email :)

Wiscombes said...

Oh..and by the way, how are the pets?? And strawberries? If you happen to see little rotton bites off your strawberries, call me. Just a thought.

Stacie said...

I must admit, I love it when my own children get a kick out of all things great and small in their world. Sleeping with snails, however, that's a new one for me! Way to go, Aurelie, you will forever be giving your children the most amazing memories childhood can offer!

It was great seeing you and I hope we can do it again real soon!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Aurelie Pahnke,
This is the Magic Blogging Fairy with a kindly reminder that you are rapidly approaching the ONE MONTH WITHOUT A NEW POST marker. Four days and counting down, sweetie. Get bloggin!

Pamela Williams said...

update update update

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

I'm missing you too but then like Marijeanne said to Ventia when she was called as RS president"see ya in three years" We may not see you blogging with all your new primary responsibilities but that's okay honey. You are doing a great job and when ever you can we will love updates. Love you all

Mari Burgess said...

Did those primary kids eat you? Mean primary kids!

Dan Iroz said...

I, also, am in awe of your parenting skills. I am not in awe of your Blog's color scheme... not enough contrast for these tired old eyes. But if Grandma didn't complain, ignore this. :) I love you Aurlie. Sorry I was so distant at Hank's wedding. Weddings seem to do effect me like that these days. Go figure.